Wednesday, December 06, 2006

In Boston

I probably won't be posting anything really "project" related this week, since I'm in Boston and keeping pretty busy with the conference I'm attending. I did want to make a note about what we are doing here, though! When I sent in my "blurb" for the conference track moderator to use when introducing me (before my presentation), I said something about "playing" on the web for the last 12 years. He commented on that during my introduction, saying that he believed that the only way to get a really deep understanding of web "stuff", you have to play with it and approach it like you are ready to have fun. Karen's latest post on her project blog mentions the fact wikis are - like the rest of this web 2.0 stuff - limited to people who have access to the web and who are comfortable with it. As a library, we are providing services that offer access to the web to people who might not be able to afford it themselves. As participants in this project, you all are becoming people who are comfortable with these technologies and concepts because you are playing with them. I'm so proud of all of you who are taking the time to do this! Playing is important when it comes to really getting computers and I truly hope you all have fun and approach these lessons as "play time" as much as "learning time"!

--
Robin Hastings
robin.hastings@gmail.com

No comments: